So over spring break dad gave me an oscilloscope to play with and I identified an unexpected behavior in my 40 meter radio. The oscillator in it that is meant to be running at 7MHz to match the signals being received (7MHz * 40 meters = 3*108 m/s aka speed of light) was instead running at 3.8MHz.
Luckily I figured this out by Monday night of the week, so I emailed Ramsey technical support right away asking for any input on the matter. They asked if one of my inductors was a K6883, which it was, and they said they'd send me replacement capacitors to alleviate the issue.
I wait, and wait, and wait. Didn't come all week, so back to school. Little did I know that just as I got back to school, the package came with the caps. So I've been waiting for the package to come and have been harassing Ramsey support about not getting anything, when in reality my mom has had it sitting in my room at home the whole time.
Lesson learned: Ask *everyone* in the house before you start harassing tech support, not just my dad... -_-
Now I have another project waiting for me when I get home!